What in the Itch is This?



I've been silently ranting about how tops are so short these days as I've been looking for a couple shirts for trips this summer.  

Guess that's my karma!  As this past week is probably the only time I would consider wearing a crop top.  

Good news, I did not!  

Warning that’s the funniest part of this post.   



Right, wrong, or different I’m going to tell my experience in case it helps one person.  Full disclosure is I'm sharing what I'm comfortable with so yes parts of the story may be left out.  Though I share it's still my right to share parts of the journey versus full disclosure.  
Example, no pictures, etc!

Here we go...


Back story, if I eat gluten then days later my skin gets an itch underneath as if something is trying to get out. Just one of the many issues with gluten but it’s relevant here to this story. 

Well I had ate some gluten filled foods so when my skin had that itching feeling that’s simply what I assumed it was.  

What was odd was an odd ache on my side & back.  

Then a few days later I get a very unusual rash on my stomach.  Which went from my belly button over to the right side.  

Without knowing I start putting Healing Elements & Restore Balm on it which calmed the itch.  

Then before bed the second night because the rash had certainly started to heat up, I applied a facial mask.  My thinking was it was mostly aloe vera and it had turmeric to take down inflammation.  

Oh and what does any woman do, consult her lady posses' to see who had experienced something similar.  

After some discussion it was pretty believable it was shingles.   

A few more internet searches including the Lemongrass google I knew my balms got me off to a good start.  Next I’d whip up a Witch Potion to beat this bad boy.  


At the end of Day 2 of the rash I was fairly uncomfortable and wanted to be sure I got some sleep.  To help that process I applied some Calm creme to my legs and feet.  

Aaaw that was nice to be able to sleep! 


Whoops, that was a detour.

What does every normal person do mix up a magical Witch potion of a cocktail!  


The cocktail of choice was a blend of geranium, lavender, and peppermint.

Geranium:   relaxing, anti-inflammatory, helps calm nerves and fatigue, balances hormones, astringent for skin
Lavender:   balancing, soothing, calming, relaxing and healing
Peppermint:   refreshing, soothe muscular pain, reduce headache, calm nerves, and cooling


Full disclosure I do not like the smell of geranium essential oil but in the name of relief I was going to tough it out.  


Day 3 of the rash I continued with the Restore Balm & my magical cocktail lotion.  The geranium was definitely getting to me however the burning was subsiding.  As well as the redness.  

A crop top was considered once again this day but I held myself back.  I tried to find the softest shirt I could because the clothes rubbing on it did not feel great!  


Day 4: Must have been peak pain day.  I didn't get to writing what I did for today.

It's hard for me to rate pain because I've experienced a variety in my life time....hand smashed in a car door, metal door closed on my head, two bad incidents of whiplash from car accidents, falling down some stairs, just to name a few....only one of these involved alcohol so use your imagination, lol.


Day 5: I only spritzed the area of blisters with Prebiotic Facial Mist today.  Areas are definitely sensitive but feels like the pain is slightly diminishing.


Day 6: Repeat of yesterday, only spritzed the area of blisters with Prebiotic Facial Mist.  Kicking myself that I didn't start with this.  As I already know how awesome it is to take the burn out of a sunburn.



Day 7:  It was nice as I got some energy back.  Yet with that I wanted to do more which wasn't necessarily doable as parts of the rash starting to crust over and clothing touching was very uncomfortable.  Then hints of formication, that's the technical word for when it feels like bugs are crawling on your skin or under your skin.

And then I lost count of what day.

I continued with the Prebiotic Facial Mist & Witch Potion.

The blisters gradually crusted over and of course they did them all at their own rate, lol.  They clearly weren't in any hurry!

Once all the blisters crusted over I started applying Restore or Healing Elements in hopes of reducing scaring.  

I seriously can not believe this encompassed most of May :(  From when the initial itching started to the rash to blisters to scabs gone was most likely 3 1/2 to 4 weeks.  Oh and did I mention, I read several articles saying to keep yourself distracted as to keep your mind off the discomfort.....ummm, pretty sure that's impossible!!  And this also brought along a fair amount of exhaustion as well.



Before I end this allow me to pass along an extra tid-bit which I discovered with that hunt on the  interweb.  There is a "diet" recommendation for shingles. 

Quick run down:

A shingles diet consists of foods with vitamins A, B-12, C, and E, and the amino acid lysine. Foods that promote healing include: 


Interesting enough I’d be consuming many of these items especially the leafy greens because I had eaten that gluten. Leafy greens are good for detoxing, wink wink.  Romaine is second best to kale for healthy greens!

If you've followed me at all, I'm a 80/20 rule girl.  Eat whole foods 80% of the time then 20% of the time enjoy indulging where'd you like.  Whole foods have some terrific healing powers!



Conclusion it’s hard to know what kept this experience short lived but I’m glad it’s over.  

Side note:  during this time we experienced 60 degree weather and 90+ degree weather....much more tolerable in 60 degree weather.  If you ever have to experience shingles I pray you get them in the winter, I can not even imagine suffering for a week in 90+ weather.


Thanks for reading this far!  As I mentioned in the beginning I’m simply sharing what I went thru in case it helps one person.  If you think this could help someone you know then pass it along.  




Stay in Touch


If you found this helpful,  Subscribe to my email newsletter (3-5 emails a month).
Follow me on Facebook or Instagram or Pinterest.

Leave any questions or comments below. 



Comments